As we know, Microsoft Exchange Server is a platform for texting or messaging and it has multiple unique features like collaborative sharing, Exchange online, secure working environment and so on. However, there are two different ways to save the relevant information in an Exchange platform such as private(Priv1.edb) as well as public(Pub1.edb) information store database. Especially, .edb is an Exchanges database file that is designed on the single client-server structure. Although, the data files stores an essential mailbox item including emails, tasks, attachments, folders, etc. In this blog, we are going to discuss how to convert Exchange EDB file to PST format.
Consider a scenario that helps to understand various kind of problems that users have faced related to Exchange Server:
"Recently, I was working on Exchange Server and I want to transfer my .edb data to .pst format so that I can easily import it into Outlook. But due to some issue, I am unable to move EDB files to Outlook data file (.pst) format."
"Yesterday I was performing some task on Exchange but I could not run it on my Desktop. Just because of Exchange server fails even its network connectivity is too slow. Therefore, I cannot access my mail stuff due to Exchange server fails."
Reasons of Exporting EDB Files to PST
EDB data files have limited space to store the desired information. Problems arise when the size of the file has exceeded the size limit.
- Sometimes Exchange server fails to perform any kind of task.
- Mailboxes acquire inaccessible and the process will take a long time if Exchange Server is under the maintenance. Therefore, it is necessary to transform EDB files to PST so that one can easily access their mailbox data.
Manual Method to Convert Exchange EDB File to Outlook PST
There is no any direct method available for the conversion from Exchange mailbox to PST. Thus, with the help of Microsoft add-on utility i.e., ExMerge.exe which is used to migrate EDB file to Outlook PST. Moreover, this free utility has many benefits like preserve from duplicacy, used in brick level backup to protect the copy of all single and multiple mailboxes also. Here, there are several steps those are mentioned below:
Solution 1: Migrate EDB Mailboxes to PST using ExMerge.exe
Note: Must install the Emerge.exe utility on your PC. You can install this application if the Desktop has MS exchange server and Admin software of Exchange as well.
- Step 1:First, install and configure the ExMerge.exe application in your system. After this, start the software and sign into Exchange server. Then, Exchange EDB mailboxes Wizard will show and click Next to proceed further.
- Step 2: Now, choose the procedure between two that you want to perform in MS Exchange mailbox.
- Step 3: Next, choose Extract data from an Exchange Server option and click Next.
- Step 4: Now, you will display the dialog box i.e. Data Selection Criteria, then, choose Import Procedure >> Archive data to target store >> click OK.
- Step 5: Click on Message Details and enter all the necessary details to the Exchange server and press Next button.
- Step 6: From the current Window, you will view the list of all the mailboxes, which consists of the selected server. After that, select the Exchange mailboxes that you want to export and select Next button.
- Step 7: Then, select the desired location where you want to store the PST data files and verify the path by selecting the Change Folder option. Click Next button, it will show the Progress status.
- Step 8: After completion of the entire procedure, click on Finish.
- This application failed if you are using Exchange Server 2007.
- The above method is too lengthy and time-consuming.
Solution 2: Using Powershell script that is available for Exchange 2007, 20010 and 2013 versions
Note: This approach is beneficial for those who have a great knowledge of Powershell command line tool.
- Step 1: Use the below Powershell cmdlet:
- Step 2: After this, create the separate folder to store the exported PST files from Exchange EDB and assign any name to that folder.
- Step 3: Next, right-click on the particular folder and it will display the Properties. Click on Share Folder
- Step 4: Then, assign the Read/write permission and Press Share option.
- Step 5: Copy the desired path of shared folder and store the name of the path in the notepad
- Step 6: Finally, run the below script after completing the task. Here, MailboxName signifies the name of the mailbox that you want to convert and EnterPath indicates the location of the folder where you want to store Outlook data files.
Solution 3: Using Exchange Admin Center to convert 2013 Exchange mailboxes to PST
- Step 1: Create the shared folder where you want to migrate the mailbox. Moreover, few important points are kept in mind while creating the shared folder:
- Do not generate the folder on a hard disk where the Log files or Database exist.
- Must create a clean-up script to delete the data files in the future.
- Step 2: Now, Set the Shared and Security level, by choosing the Permission tab.
- Step 3: After that, to assign the Export Permission to Mailbox, follow the steps to designate the permission.
- Start EAC by using Organization management and select Permission tab. Double press on Recipient Management and choose all from the Role.
- Under the page, select a Role, and click on Mailbox Import Export option. Choose Add >> OKbutton.
- Next, select Add option under Roles selection and choose Mailbox Import Export in a new Window page. Click Add and then, OK button.
- Step 4: Finally, Export Mailbox data into PST file, perform the below steps:
- Open EAC, select Mailboxes and display the list of Exchange mailboxes. Select the EDB file that you want to export into PST.
- Now, right-click on the mailbox and then, click Export to a PST file option. Then, browse the selected mailbox.
- You can search the path of exported Exchange mailboxes by using below syntax:
- In last, click Finish button after completing the process.
If the above methods unable to convert your Exchange EDB files to Outlook PST then, you can use alternate solution i.e; EDB to PST Converter without any inconvenience.
It can be concluded that user must opt Exchange utility i.e., ExMerge.exe to extract data from EDB to PST file on MS Exchange Server. Still, in any case, this application cannot able to convert Exchange .edb file to PST due to some problem. Then, users able to go for an alternate solution i.e. EDB to PST Converter tool, which is designed to overcome the limitation of above mentioned Microsoft utilities in an efficient way.